[Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:27:39 +0100

Hello,

I am quite new to arch but, so far, it looks to be able do what I
need. What I don't know is how to best solve the conflicts in the
.arch-ids directory. Maybe this was already discussed but I could not
find any link.

I am using tla for Linux kernel development. I have 2 archives -
linux--mainline--2.6 which tracks to changes in the main kernel and
linux--cm--2.6 for my changes. For example, I develop a driver in
drivers/net/aaa.c and save the changes in my linux--cm--2.6 archive. I
also submit the patch to the main kernel developers but continue
developing the driver in my archive.

The linux--mainline--2.6 archive is updated by applying the patch
releases from kernel.org, run tla-udpate-ids and commit the
changes. When the kernel developers decide to include my driver into
their kernel I will get a drivers/net/aaa.c file and a
.arch-ids/aaa.c.id file in the linux--mainline--2.6 archive. The id
file will always be different and the aaa.c is also possible to be
different.

After a "tla star-merge", the I get a conflict for both aaa.c and
aaa.c.id files. What's the best way to fix/avoid the conflict for the
id file? I am using the explicit id tagging method. Is this possible
with this tagging method or I have to switch to "names" (I would lose
the history when renaming files though)?

Thanks,

Catalin