Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:59:40 -0400

Catalin Marinas wrote:
I have 2 archives -
linux--mainline--2.6 which tracks to changes in the main kernel and
linux--cm--2.6 for my changes.

The linux--mainline--2.6 archive is updated by applying the patch
releases from kernel.org, run tla-udpate-ids and commit the
changes. When the kernel developers decide to include my driver into
their kernel I will get a drivers/net/aaa.c file and a
.arch-ids/aaa.c.id file in the linux--mainline--2.6 archive. The id
file will always be different and the aaa.c is also possible to be
different.

Arrange for the inventory id to be the same. Taglines, as Miles suggested, is a good way to do that.

Or else, when you apply the kernel patch that adds your file, copy the .id file from your cm working tree into the mainline tree. Perhaps tla-update-ids should support doing that automatically.

In order for people using Arch to collaborate, there must be ID parity. So I'd strongly encourage you to publish and publicise your Arch version of the Linux mainline, so that other Archers use that set of IDs instead of making their own.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology