Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 09:03:25 +0100

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 11:33, Robert Collins wrote:
> Heck, the kernel tla using folk could even run a 'pre-merge' tree where
> files being submitted for official inclusion are visible.

That's probably what most developers do. They have their own tree which
is publicly available (either in diff format or via BitKeeper) and they
keep pushing the patches upstream until they are included. Some of them
might have other trees which are not public (developing code under an
NDA) and here the free BK licence prevents cannot be used. That's, I
think, one of arch's biggest advantages. I would personally not use BK
for what is publicly available and something else for code to be
released in more than 6 months time.

A good start would be a public Linux mainline BK->arch gateway (one way)
but this probably cannot be achieved with the free BK because of its
license, and the CVS tree BitMover provides is not very useful since it
lacks the changeset information.

Catalin