Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Conflicts in .arch-ids
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:42:32 -0400

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:27:39PM +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> The linux--mainline--2.6 archive is updated by applying the patch
> releases from kernel.org, run tla-udpate-ids and commit the
> changes. When the kernel developers decide to include my driver into
> their kernel I will get a drivers/net/aaa.c file and a
> .arch-ids/aaa.c.id file in the linux--mainline--2.6 archive. The id
> file will always be different and the aaa.c is also possible to be
> different.
>
> After a "tla star-merge", the I get a conflict for both aaa.c and
> aaa.c.id files. What's the best way to fix/avoid the conflict for the
> id file? I am using the explicit id tagging method. Is this possible
> with this tagging method or I have to switch to "names" (I would lose
> the history when renaming files though)?

If the problem is mostly with files you are writing, the simplest way is
probably to use a id-tagging-method of "tagline" -- which will automatically
accept all your existing explicit ids (.id files, etc) -- and addn
taglines to the files you write; then when those files show up in the
official kernel patch, they'll _already_ have ids (from their taglines), and
so tla-update-ids won't add an explicit id for them.

If there are other files which are problematic (that you add to your branch
first, but which you don't have control over the contents of, and so can't
easily add a tagline to the official kernel file), you could just make sure
to manually run "tla add" on those files when they show up in the kernel
patch, before you run tla-update-ids.  [If this happens _often_ then I'd
guess some sort of scripting solution is called for, which would do a quick
check to see if new files already exist in another branch, and copy the id if
so]

Regardless, if you're creating new files, I suggest using "tagline"
id-tagging-method, and taglines for the files you write.

[Because "tagline" is a superset of "explicit", changing the tagging method
should be fairly painless]

-Miles
--
`Suppose Korea goes to the World Cup final against Japan and wins,' Moon said.
`All the past could be forgiven.'   [NYT]