Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:54:52 +0100

> As for why the workers know where to harvest resources out of sight, we can
> say that the high level emergent AI (the player) does not have access to
> 100% of the combined knowledge of every single glob, but only have access to
> their recent memory. The workers would not have gone to the off-sight
> resource recently, but they would have gone there some time ago. So they
> remember it even though the player doesn't.

Problem is that the landscape is constantly changing.

I made a mistake when I presented this issue.
Actually the globs don't know where the nearest resource is.
They only know how far away each of their neighbouring squares is
from the next specific resource.

>From a player point of view, we could break that down further:
A glob only knows which is the next square to which it must go and
whether it itself is
the glob that is closest to a specific resource.
I think that is information that the player has as soon as that glob
starts to move.

We store the pathways as gradient values on each square of the map.
So the path-finding might not be something that the globs do either.
It could be some property of the ground that the globs learned to exploit.

We don't recompute that gradient each turn - I think every fifth turn.
So for a second or so a glob can walk in a wrong direction.
--
Kai Antweiler