Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0

From: Quinn Yee Qin Teh
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation Lore v1.0
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:12:56 +1100

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
> Here's how I think the overall intelligence can fit in, but need some help
> with blending it into the lore:
>
> The humans built the globs as a self-sustaining terraforming entity to
> terraform the planet, and the entire entity is controlled by a central AI,
> which is the player. The central AI is not located in a central CPU or
> location, but is an emergent entity as a result of the communication
> between
> the globs (is this what you mean Federico?).

y, that's what i meant

> They have also been programmed to attack any other moving creatures
> sighted,
> unless it is a friendly glob. However, at some point because the globs got
> separated into different locations throughout the planet and survived on
> their own for some time, the central AI was split into separate entities
> as
> well. That's why they don't recognise 'enemy' globs when sighted, because
> they're not controlled by the same AI entity.

not any creature^^ they r not so fight-hungry^^
anyway y, they recognize any different color glob as an enemy.

> They haven't forgotten their original purpose, which is to terraform the
> planet. That is done by building special monuments on the ground (we could
> use this to separate the Prestige system from schools - create a new
> building type for prestige which is only enabled after level 3 schools)
> that's why whenever a faction builds a certain number of monuments on the
> ground, it wins, as it would have served its purpose.

that's a good one
you could make a "control points" game type. for winning you have to
maintain a monument on 4 control points at same time for 60 seconds for
example.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but right now you can win the game just by building enough level 3 schools. Each school will give you some prestige points, and if you get enough prestige points (depending on the number of players) you'll win.

The idea I'm presenting here is to take away the prestige points from level 3 schools, but introduce a new building that does nothing except give prestige. If we go with the competitive terra-forming idea, we could make that building some kind of atmospheric filter which converts the atmosphere of the planet into one like Earth, thus giving the owner prestige (for contributing to the terraforming of the planet) Perhaps an alternative prestige system would be each prestige building giving 1 prestige point every few seconds, as an atmospheric filter will filter the air little by little.

> To explain why you win by killing the other factions, theoretically
> speaking
> if you're the only faction of globs on the planet and there is no other
> force standing in your way, you will inevitably be able to achieve the
> purpose stated above.

y, but watch out for the wereglobs^^

> As for why the workers know where to harvest resources out of sight, we
> can
> say that the high level emergent AI (the player) does not have access to
> 100% of the combined knowledge of every single glob, but only have access
> their recent memory. The workers would not have gone to the off-sight
> resource recently, but they would have gone there some time ago. So they
> remember it even though the player doesn't.
>
> So there you go.

that's a good reason

thx