Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 01:15:11 +0200

Different Swarms can have different settings.
We could switch to global settings.

*agree*

Where you can adjust how your population should look like:
procentage of workers, explorers and warriors
and their levels in the different skills.

why that?

And the total numbers of units.

great. put it in the top row as a 3rd number per kind of unit.
and here can be automatism as well. demand of workers could default to the
count of jobs.

Maybe even how many workers an Inn should offer a job depending
on its level of stored food.

If we understand it, this should be taken from the player completely.

How many workers should go to
a clearing flag ...

no global setting. that depends on factors as
* clearing attack?
* permanent installation to keep a passage free?
* low priority task to enable a later building upgrade?

Together with useful defaults and an option to load/save settings the will cut micromanage down.

:/ load settings? that does not sound like a game.

Imagine you'll be surprised by an attack of your enemy.
Just load your emergency setting and focus on coordinating
your defence.

well load a set of parameters sounds too abstract. but it would be intuitive to
be able to pull up the targetted count of warriors and pull down the targeted
workers/explorers.

Oh! I sometimes have the impression that warriors are prioritized over workers
when it comes to feeding them. we could implement to use those global target
counts to even let the one or the other starve in favor of the more prioritized.

Maybe a switch in lokal buildings to change (only) this building back
to stupid behaviour - in case you want to put Swarms near your enemy
to produce mass warriors.

no switch. the ratio bars are just fine as is. just that they become balance
bars (-10 to 10) rather than absolute number bars (0 to 10) with the efect that
they normally produce according to global demands but if they are pulld away
from 0 they change production rates accordingly. so ratios are
goblalWorkers+localWorkers:globalWarriors+localWarriors:globalExplorers+localExplorers.
 If global settings range from 0 to 10 and locals from -10 to 10 you would
effectively be able to stop production of any type locally (10-10=0) and thus
be able to have swarms for special purpose.

One setting about how hard the computer will try to meet your demands
would be useful.  Normally, there is no need to have a glob travel
around the world for a job.  But sometimes this might me useful.

that's a long time unsolved problem, but i had the impressions that tasks get
fulfilled much better in 21 than in 19. we could think of ways to bring in a
task priority that rises over time if it makes no progress.

leo wandersleb