Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?

From: donkyhotay
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:46:06 -0700

Unit fusion would be horrible in this game. Suppose you didn't want your units to merge. Players don't have enough control over units to prevent them from fusing all the time. In a macromanagement game I don't see anyway of making it work. By the time the game was rewritten enough to allow fusion to be an option it would just be another boring micromanagement RTS. The best part of glob2 is the macromanagement control scheme. It's something I've wanted to see in other RTS games and removing that would completely ruin the game as has been stated by other people many times before.

I like the idea!

We could make markets an alternative upgrade to inns.
Or include an option to change schools to fully loaded turrets for
a moderate cost.  So that you can defend when needed, but pay a very
high price for it.

We also could make unit upgrades exlusive.
For example impose (Swim Level) + (Attack Level) <= 4 for warriors.
Or make explores upgradable to super strong marine units (fish) which
can't walk on land - as an alternative to air attacking explorers.

How about unit fusion: 2 warriors come in 1 super warrior comes out.
Maybe Attack Level 3 should require that.