Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] should turrets attack air?
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:47:47 +0200

> Unit fusion would be horrible in this game. Suppose you didn't want
> your units to merge. Players don't have enough control over units to
> prevent them from fusing all the time. In a macromanagement game I
> don't see anyway of making it work.

We would have to do it the glob2 way.  Control it through buildings.
Swarms can control the production of 3 different units efficiently
without much micromanagement.  Fusing units or alternative unit
upgrades could be controled the same way - by the appropriate buildings.

By the way:
Different Swarms can have different settings.
We could switch to global settings.
Where you can adjust how your population should look like:
procentage of workers, explorers and warriors
and their levels in the different skills.
And the total numbers of units.
Maybe even how many workers an Inn should offer a job depending
on its level of stored food.  How many workers should go to
a clearing flag ...
Together with useful defaults and an option to load/save
settings the will cut micromanage down.
Imagine you'll be surprised by an attack of your enemy.
Just load your emergency setting and focus on coordinating
your defence.

The buildings could use this information and the information about the
existing globs to intelligently produce units until the population you
wanted is reached and keep it until settings are changed.

Maybe a switch in lokal buildings to change (only) this building back
to stupid behaviour - in case you want to put Swarms near your enemy
to produce mass warriors.

You can't reduce micromanagement any more than that without
taking decisions for the player.  Plus it would be one easy
accessable interface for all space independent decisions.
That's a big plus.

One setting about how hard the computer will try to meet your demands
would be useful.  Normally, there is no need to have a glob travel
around the world for a job.  But sometimes this might me useful.
--
Kai Antweiler