Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Lots of little bits

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Lots of little bits
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:33:31 +0000

Hi Richard,

> I keep saying to people that we need a full scale accounting package
> for commercial purposes that is GPL'd and fits in with the Government
> PKI initiative.   Such a package would be difficult to refuse.  I
> know that several accountants in Sheffield would use such a thing if
> they could get hold of it.  Presently they pay about £100 to £300 per
> week per user for a windoze package that crashes all of the time.

The programming isn't hard building on top of free software that's
already available.  What's hard is the accounting knowledge and coping
with all the regional variations, e.g. I'd want VAT support.  If one of
those accounting firms were willing to contribute time then it might be
possible, but accounting software, unlike, say, a compiler, doesn't
transport around the world so easily.

Cheers,

Ralph.