[Fsfe-uk] Re: Re: Lots of little bits

From: Richard Ibbotson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Re: Lots of little bits
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:39:57 +0000

Ralph

> The programming isn't hard building on top of free software that's
> already available.  What's hard is the accounting knowledge and
> coping with all the regional variations, e.g. I'd want VAT support.
>  If one of those accounting firms were willing to contribute time
> then it might be possible, but accounting software, unlike, say, a
> compiler, doesn't transport around the world so easily.

Yes

I think you need a plug in module for each geographical area ?   You
can get iAmerica or British dictionaries for GNU/Linux systems and
most of the other languages for spell checking.  So, an RPM or DEB
package for the UK market and one for the US market would raise a lot
of interest.

You could produce version 1 and then when you produce version 2 you
could GPL version 1 and give it away ?  Version 2 could be sold at a
price that would be much lower than the Windows or Mac equivalent.

Thanks

--
Richard