Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS Website

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS Website
Date: 19 Feb 2002 16:45:38 +0000

On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 16:25, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I'll just make the default stylesheet simpler, and offer an
> > advanced one as an alternative. Browsers which choke on advanced
> > stylesheets are unlikely to understand the concept of an alternative
> > style, so it should work fine (unlike @import).
>
> Probably a good solution, actually.  I forget things like this because we
> work with other designers and their designs are agreed with clients.  They
> never seem to want to pay out for real advanced sites which degrade
> gracefully, so they normally get a fairly conservative design.

It should work okay, but we'll see - if there are still problems, we'll
have to resort to further measures :(

> I do that as a style point.  Makes it easier to acquire "br" by
> double-clicking.

Indeed :)

> > - but really, if your browser has a problem with the mark-up, change your
> > browser. Seriously ;)
>
> Sorry, not an acceptable stance for an outreach site ;_(

It definitely is. Have you seen the markup? If a browser can't parse
that, I don't care - it's broken beyond the point I'm willing to spend
time to make it work in.

I suspect the number of browsers that cannot parse it, though, can be
counted without any fingers, which was more the point I was making -
although people are complaining about the site, it's not a markup
problem, only a stylesheet issue. I.e., one that can be fixed in a
relative trice - this has nothing to do with it being written in XHTML,
and writing it in HTML 3 would not solve the problem.

Cheers,

Alex.