Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS Website

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS Website
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:31:22 +0000

Ralph:
> Surely the AFFS website more than most will be visited by non-IE people
> using a myriad of versions of Netscape, Lynx, links, Galeon, etc.

Indeed.  Netscape 4 is probably a hopeless case, though.  It's not only old,
but just plain wrong in many cases.  "Visible" is as much as we can hope for
on that.  Do any Netscape 4 users that you know a big favour and upgrade
them to something else.

> Sticking to a simple layout, probably using HTML 3.2, is what will
> satisfy all these viewers.

Next person to suggest using HTML gets sent a trout that I've kept on a
radiator for a day or so!  HTML is obsolete and deservedly so.  I think all
browsers now can render xhtml (as links was the last to have problems), so
let's use that.  We should not be afraid to add things like CSS etc to it,
but we should not depend on them.
--
MJR