Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.

From: Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:43:34 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:
>
>> I'd like to plan additional input method for mapping diacritics in
>> SI-1452 way.  For this methods the points and accent maps should by
>> attached to the CAPS and AltGr keys.  Is there a way to accomplish this?
>
> I'd suggest to use the SUPER and/or HYPER modifiers, and let the users
> map those to the keys they want.  AltGr is not available on every
> keyboard.  Think about a system in the US English locale whose user wants
> to type diacriticals.

What about CAPS? moving to SUPER and HYPER would mean that user must
define these keys and that they will be in use only for Hebrew-Mode.  Is
there a way from within emacs to identify some key which is normally
bound to something else such as AltGr/AltR/CAPS and take over the
binding just in Hebrew mode?  If some of these are not present you can
always user the prefix method.

>> Does it need to wait until the Unification
>> process is done?
>
> No, of course not.  What I'd suggest for now is to have a separate
> heb-uni.el file, which is more-or-less exact copy of hebrew.el, but
> inserts mule-unicode-0100-24ff characters instead of hebrew-iso8859-8
> characters.  If you encode the file in UTF-8, it will remain intact when
> Emacs switches to Unicode internally.

OK. I'll look into it.

>> Some of the characters encoding are missing.
>
> Which ones?

;;;("[u" ?)     ;;Ligat Yiddish Doubl Vav **      05f0
;;;("[h" ?)     ;;Ligat Yiddish Doubl Yod **      05f2
;;;("[j" ?)     ;;Ligat Yiddish Vav Yod   **      05f1
;;;("[a" ?)     ;;New Sheqel Sign         **      20aa
;;;("['" ?)     ;;Punct Geresh            **      05f3
;;; ("[;" ?)    ;;Punct Gershayim         **      05f4

I have only the Unicode codes for these, I don't know if they all
present.

> Yes, of course; see the file INSTALL in the Emacs 21 distribution, it has
> a couple of URLs for Unicode fonts.  I don't know whether it covers all
> of the Hebrew characters, but I'd imagine it does.

I'll let you know my findings - I'm a bit more sceptical...