Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:11:17 +0200

> From: "Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:34:00 +0200
>
> Stupid SI 1452 put the Hebrew diacritics in the CAPS-Shift map - to
> produce all the characters I put in the '[' map, you need to press CAPS,
> and then shift-letter e.g. CAPS-Shift-8 produce qamats.

Sorry, I don't understand: what is CAPS? is it the CapsLock key?

> > The problem with these is that they Shift and Alt are usually taken (Alt
> > produces META, a you know), and AltGr might be unavailable (you get a
> > usual Alt instead).
>
> I have a feeling that Emacs knows inside the real key that was hit - it
> know if the left or right (Alt/Ctrl/Shift) keys were hit, it knows the
> difference between 1 and KP-1, it just has the default binding of the
> keys to the same "logical" key.

It's not always up to Emacs: some systems, notably a character
terminal, hide this in their low-level OS routines, so Emacs never
sees the raw keyboard events.  We should try not to use features that
are only available on some terminals.

> What I'd like to do is catch these
> differences only when the input method is active, and use them - The
> left Alt will stay left while the right one (Sometimes labeled AltGr),
> used differently, and also CAPS-Shift would produce different results.

If CAPS is CapsLock, Emacs doesn't see it at all on many platforms.