Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:19:05 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> Attached is hebrew.el for inputting all hebrew diacritics.

Thanks!

> I'd like to plan additional input method for mapping diacritics in
> SI-1452 way.  For this methods the points and accent maps should by
> attached to the CAPS and AltGr keys.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

I'd suggest to use the SUPER and/or HYPER modifiers, and let the users
map those to the keys they want.  AltGr is not available on every
keyboard.  Think about a system in the US English locale whose user wants
to type diacriticals.

> In addition, these input methods could probably be applied to Unicode
> Hebrew block as well

Yes.

> There is no reference on inputting Unicode on characters (Vanilla 21.1).

Yes, there is: see leim/quail/latin-ltx.el.  This only supports a small
part of possible characters, though.

> Does it need to wait until the Unification
> process is done?

No, of course not.  What I'd suggest for now is to have a separate
heb-uni.el file, which is more-or-less exact copy of hebrew.el, but
inserts mule-unicode-0100-24ff characters instead of hebrew-iso8859-8
characters.  If you encode the file in UTF-8, it will remain intact when
Emacs switches to Unicode internally.

> Some of the characters encoding are missing.

Which ones?

> But the largest problem is that I can't display those things properly.
> Is there a font that have all of the Unicode Hebrew block?

Yes, of course; see the file INSTALL in the Emacs 21 distribution, it has
a couple of URLs for Unicode fonts.  I don't know whether it covers all
of the Hebrew characters, but I'd imagine it does.