Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 18:58:02 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Yair Friedman (Jerusalem) wrote:

> > I'd suggest to use the SUPER and/or HYPER modifiers, and let the users
> > map those to the keys they want.  AltGr is not available on every
> > keyboard.  Think about a system in the US English locale whose user wants
> > to type diacriticals.
>
> What about CAPS?

Only if we have to: shifted letters still produce Latin caps in the
Hebrew input method, and I don't think we should break this unless we
have no other choice.

> moving to SUPER and HYPER would mean that user must
> define these keys and that they will be in use only for Hebrew-Mode.

I don't think so.  AFAIK, every modern keyboard already has some key
which serves as SUPER and another as HYPER.  I've seen quite a few
customizations that use those modifiers, although they are unused by
default.

But using those modifiers was just an idea; it's not the only one.  For
example, we could define one of the Fn function keys as a prefix key, so
that, say, "F8 i" would produce Hiriq, etc.  (Doesn't MS Word use
something like that?)

> Is
> there a way from within emacs to identify some key which is normally
> bound to something else such as AltGr/AltR/CAPS and take over the
> binding just in Hebrew mode?

The problem with these is that they Shift and Alt are usually taken (Alt
produces META, a you know), and AltGr might be unavailable (you get a
usual Alt instead).

> >> Some of the characters encoding are missing.
> >
> > Which ones?
>
> ;;;("[u" ?)   ;;Ligat Yiddish Doubl Vav **      05f0
> ;;;("[h" ?)   ;;Ligat Yiddish Doubl Yod **      05f2
> ;;;("[j" ?)   ;;Ligat Yiddish Vav Yod   **      05f1
> ;;;("[a" ?)   ;;New Sheqel Sign         **      20aa
> ;;;("['" ?)   ;;Punct Geresh            **      05f3
> ;;; ("[;" ?)  ;;Punct Gershayim         **      05f4
>
> I have only the Unicode codes for these, I don't know if they all
> present.

I don't have the latest iso8859-8 where I'm typing this, but if some of
these are not there, we won't be able to produce them, except in the
Unicode input method.