Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] Input method with diacritics.
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:51:44 +0900 (JST)

"Yair Friedman (Jerusalem)" <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>>  Or, do you mean that you want the keyboard table you put in
>>  the docstring to be generated automatically?

> Yes, Could this be possible?

It's very difficult because there's no way to identify that
'[' is a prefix key.   For instance, we have this kind of
rule in "latin-1-postfix" input method.

 ("A`" ?À)
 ("A'" ?Á)
 ("A^" ?Â)
 ("A~" ?Ã)

But, we don't want to treat `A' as a prefix key.

We may be able to add a new argument PREFIX-CHARS to
quail-define-package, and modify quail-help to check it and
generate separate keyboard tables.  It may require a gross
change in quail-help.  Do you want to work on implementing
it?

>>>  I'd like to plan additional input method for mapping diacritics in
>>>  SI-1452 way.  For this methods the points and accent maps should by
>>>  attached to the CAPS and AltGr keys.  Is there a way to accomplish this?
>>
>>  I don't under what do you mean by "attached to the CAPS and
>>  ...".  Do you want to use CAPS and AltGr for a prefix key as
>>  well as `]' and `['?

> No, I want them to be used in an additional method *instead* of the `]'
> and `[' keys.

No.  My question is "do you want that pressing CAPS sends
Emacs an independent event that can be treated as a prefix
event as the same way as the current `['?".

Or, do you want that pressing CAPS and some other key KEY at
the same time sends Emacs an event and that event is handled
by quail to insert the same character as what '[' followed
by KEY inserts?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden