Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 08:14:11 -0400

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> We will always have to limit what information is
> provided because the GPL makes a distinction between
> data and code, between packets and linking.

Copyright (and the very instrinsic nature of data) draws
this distinction.

> > Please don't call the GPL "viral".  Proprietary
> > software is the virus, the GPL is a form of
> > vaccination for your code to protect it from
> > getting infected with that virus.
> Sorry, I wont do that again.
> But on that note, the GPL is being infected by
> proprietary software already.
> We need to think about handling this next wave of
> attacks.

James, your concern is well-founded.  But the nature of this
fight is different from the past.  For software, the GPL
provided an amazing thing: a legal assurance of the freedom
of free code.  There just isn't anything like that for the
remote application server model.

Just have to build a better mousetrap, basically.

Seth Johnson

--

[CC] Counter-copyright:
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html