Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: My Favorite soapbox : XML linkage (was Re: [DotGNU]Jabber-thon)
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 23:27:44 -0400

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> Well start protesting about the SWAGKIT, noone cares
> right now.

Part of the problem is that nobody probably really knows much about it
or about the potential or stated uses of it.  I know that this is the
first time I'd heard of it.  Perhaps you should write something up on it
and post an article to newsforge or OSOpinion or something. :)

> Look,  There are people who can and will go  greate
> lengths to overcome the GPL. RMS has asked me to not
> dump function bodies in such an easy to use, non
> licensed format for good reasons.
>
> The issue with other Gpled programs in general I
> cannot speak for, only guess.
>
> I can tell you that compilers are vunerable because
> once they convert a program to an XML once, there is
> no need for them again!

No doubt.  Like I said, there are issues.  But, they're not easy to deal
with.

Compilers have different issues associated with them than say web
browsers or other programs.  That's all well and good and I'm a pretty
staunch proponent of the GNU GPL.

Having said that - I think that the issue shows up only in certain
circumstances -- none of which are particularly new at their core.  When
changes go into effect for the GNU GPL after considerable legal and
ethical review - then we'll be able to do something about it.  Until
then, we've got to find ways to deal with the issues in a constructive
way.

That way, at the moment, is by fighting proprietary by producing Free
Software programs that are alternatives to those proprietary programs.
If the GNU GPL is not strong enough in it's current form to defend our
work - then we, as the authors, will ultimately change the license based
on experience.  Things are in the works, my friend - have faith... The
issues that you speak of will be dealt with in time.

        -Barry