Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:55:13 +0530

If memory serves me right, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> 1)
> > The other bonus of it being Open Source is there is no chance of there
> > being sleeper software built-in like the recent revelations about
> > KaZaA.
>
> What are these recent revelations?
> Could someone point me to a page that describes this?

Check the Brilliant Networks's distributed computer ... it's based on
Kazaa and uses the kazaa clients for processing. Processing jobs are
being sold by Brilliant....

Somewhere in slashdot.org .... (news for herds...)

> 2) What do people think about this?  I have a problem with Napster,
>    Gnutella, etc.

Well it's a very small step in the evolution of the internet ....
moving along from the controlled centralized networks to the free
for all networks .....

After all it's not the authors  who puts up illegal data on it....
it's the users .... Would you like it if someone tried to treat you
like a criminal and locked up and counted the spoons everytime you
visited ? .... Any software treating all customers like that will
not be appreciated or used widely.

> You can make a case that music, like software, should be free.

Not exactly ... because taking a song and adding a feature or fixing
a bug sounds silly for Music... And what would you call "source" for
some Music ..... You might compare the music notes on a paper to
Software source... Mp3s are not !.... So how can they be "free" in
the analogy to "software freedom" ?

And to stress that point .... we never said anything about "Music
being Free"...

> However, free music, like free software, is about voluntarily giving the
> fruits of your labour freely.  It is not about grabbing what someone
> didn't intend to be free.

Yes, the latter is piration in both software and music industries....

> Adobe does not want Photoshop free.

So what will you do ?.... Write a photoshop clone ? ... You can't compare
it to music in any way .... (cloning music .... LOL !)

Gopal