Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 17:06:20 -0500

Adam Theo wrote:
Free Software can take over the world, but it will not happen if it is associated with breaking the law. This is the biggest thing I have against RMS, in that he too often encourages this sort of thing. It can happen, we just have to take the high road and not resort to petty crimes to get what we want. So sorry, disagree with RMS (and I'm assuming you as well) here :-)

Well, I prefer to use Free Software or do without, as I do. But sometimes it is rather difficult to tell others to do the same. For example, I was talking with the technology coordinator at a school that is breaking from its corporation, and they need a new admin system. I chatted a bit about FS, but the progress on what projects I did find was, well, pathetic. I would have done it myself, but it appears to be too late, as they quickly set about evaluating proprietary solutions. It was a rather frustrating experience. I can just imagine going to them, GNU/Linux, Apache, and the plug-in impl. I came up with in hand, and having them say, `well, we already paid $xx,xxx for XXX.

I also have a friend who knows about FS, but prefers to use his cracked copy of WinXP.

I don't really have a coherent opinion; I don't ever want to be in that position, where I am forced to use proprietary software. Sorry to everyone who is.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

There has been another attempt to seize power. So far, the
aristocratic forces have been defeated.
        -- Radio Free OZ