`freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Fr

From: S11001001
Subject: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:40:27 -0500

Daniel Carrera wrote:
However, free music, like free software, is about voluntarily giving the
fruits of your labour freely.  It is not about grabbing what someone
didn't intend to be free.

I believe in Free Software and I would love to see Adobe making Photoshop
free.  However, I don't think that it's okay to start giving away copies
of Adobe Photoshop.  Adobe does not want Photoshop free.

As a computer user today, you may find yourself using a proprietary program. If your friend asks to make a copy, it would be wrong to refuse. Cooperation is more important than copyright.
        -- RMS, "Why Software Should Not Have Owners"

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

There has been another attempt to seize power. So far, the
aristocratic forces have been defeated.
        -- Radio Free OZ