Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network

From: Daniel E Baumann
Subject: Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:31:14 -0500

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 03:40:27PM -0500, S11001001 wrote:
> Daniel Carrera wrote:
> >However, free music, like free software, is about voluntarily giving the
> >fruits of your labour freely.  It is not about grabbing what someone
> >didn't intend to be free.
> >
> >I believe in Free Software and I would love to see Adobe making Photoshop
> >free.  However, I don't think that it's okay to start giving away copies
> >of Adobe Photoshop.  Adobe does not want Photoshop free.
>
> As a computer user today, you may find yourself using a proprietary
> program. If your friend asks to make a copy, it would be wrong to
> refuse. Cooperation is more important than copyright.
>       -- RMS, "Why Software Should Not Have Owners"

Since we are going down this copyright road I figure I would provide
this link as it is one of the most well written things I have read on
copyright that is not written by RMS.

http://www.open-spaces.com/article-v2n1-loren.php

Dan
--
Daniel E Baumann      address@hidden

And if cynics ridicule freedom, ridicule community...if ``hard nosed
realists'' say that profit is the only ideal...just ignore them, and use
copyleft all the same.
      -- RMS