Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: `freeing' proprietary software (was Re: [DotGNU]Open Content Network: Free Software P2P)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 03:39:50 +0530

If memory serves me right, Adam Theo wrote:
> S11001001 wrote:
> > As a computer user today, you may find yourself using a proprietary
> > program. If your friend asks to make a copy, it would be wrong to
> > refuse. Cooperation is more important than copyright.
> >     -- RMS, "Why Software Should Not Have Owners"
>
> Free Software can take over the world, but it will not happen if it is
> associated with breaking the law. This is the biggest thing I have
> against RMS, in that he too often encourages this sort of thing.

Actually you seem to have misinterpreted RMS ..... (or maybe I have) ..
What he's saying is "don't buy proprietary and get into this dilemma"..

"Cooperation is more important" ... so don't create a situation where
you have to break the law to share... (Wasn't that what you were taught
at the mother's knee -- to share ?)

> crimes to get what we want.

Exactly ... risk refusing it to your friend or give him the FS you use :)
No crime either way .. and guess which's better ?

> So sorry, disagree with RMS (and I'm assuming you as well) here  :-)

I'm sure my interpretation will have no problems with anyone :)

Gopal