consensus

Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto

From: Hugo Roy
Subject: Re: [GNU/consensus] [RFC][SH] User Data Manifesto
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:05:52 +0100

Le dimanche 06 janvier 2013 à 21:19 -0500, Richard Stallman a écrit :
>     If you're free, you can think for yourself and do things with
>     your body, so you "own" your body and you "own" things you make with
>     your hands.
>
> To say you "own" your body seems to imply you should be able to sell it.

Yes, it _seems_ to, if you think of owning as property. But owning can
have other meanings. For instance, I think it could be valid to use the
expression "their own data" when we speak of users' data. It does not
necessarily mean we imply people have some kind of property over that
data but that is possible, for instance if the data is totally meant to
be private, I believe I have some property right on it. This is already
the case on my own laptop because the laptop is my property, but I think
it should also be the case when my private data is somewhere else.

>     I think the crucial point should not be about "owning" but really about
>     privacy
>
> I agree.
>
>           /publicity.
>
> In English, publicity and privacy are not antonyms.

I did not say that being a public person means you cannot have privacy
any more, but when you publish something, it sure cannot be considered
private any more. So they are antonyms in some way. Depending on things
you publish, you change the "state of affairs" of your privacy.

If you think the whole point is only about "privacy" then I do not
understand what is the object that we are trying to reach consensus on.
I thought, reading Hellekin's manifesto, that we are trying to help free
software projects reach consensus to support social networks.

Social networks imply some publicity. If you think social networking is
only about what's totally private between close friends, you're living
before the Web.

So we have to address privacy /and/ publicity. (I believe there is a
continuum between them, not that things are totally binary.)

--
Hugo Roy
  French Coordinator, FSFE      chat: address@hidden