RE: GIS and Swarm

From: Kostas Alexandridis
Subject: RE: GIS and Swarm
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 13:01:10 -0400

        We are using GIS data with Swarm, for a year now. We use both
ArcGIS 8.1 and ArcView 3.3 for parcel-based databases integration with
Swarm. In addition ArcInfo conversion utilities are used for transfering
raster data to and from ASCII format for Swarm. You can download a small
video of our MABEL model in www.mabel.msu.edu/newmovie.mpg, for some
pilot-project areas. Each pilot area is 3x3 mi in a 10x10 m raster data
resolution, and contains from 80-300 initial agents.
        Also, a paper on MABEL, presented on the 2nd World Congress of
Environmental Economists, is available through Ag Econ Search:
http://agecon.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/detailview.pl?paperid=4834. We are
working on a two more papers on the decision-making proccess - one of
them is going to be available very soon.
        Perhaps establishing a communication via Swarm-GIS sounds like a
good idea.

Kostas Alexandridis
Human-Environment Modeling & Analysis Facility (HEMA)
Regional Environmental & Geospatial Analysis Laboratory
Michigan State University
202 Manly Miles Building
1405 South Harrison, East Lansing, MI 48824
Tel: (517) 432-2948
Fax: (517) 432-2762
www.mabel.msu.edu