Re: [Simulavr-devel] git repo: ready for go

From: ThomasK
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] git repo: ready for go
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:59:37 +0100

Hi Jörg,

What, for example, would happen if I said

git config user.email address@hidden

there, and later commit and push my changes to savannah?

The messages in the commit log are given by these settings. So this
would set your eMails to TomK's in the commit message.

That's a little strange, does it really mean I could pretend being
someone else?  Isn't there any way to have an authenticated user in
the logs (as it is standard for central-repository VCSes)?

Yes, you could pretend to be somebody else. As Onno wrote, this config setting is only to fill in fields at commit. But there is a feature in git to sign (with gpg) your changes. I havn't used it, so I don't know, if this would solve it. Maybe Onno knows more? (on the other hand, I think, its easy to check ... I can check it, more later ...)

cu, Thomas