Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Joel N. Weber II
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:59:40 -0500

   Dans un message du 24 mar à 10:43, Joel N. Weber II écrivait :
   > I think we should only accept GPL compatible licenses, since we'd like
   > all software to have GPL compatible licenses, and this might provide
   > people with an incentive to use a GPL compatible license where they
   > might otherwise not.

   As far as I am concerned, I think that we should not be that
   restrictive. For example, I think IBM PL is not that bad. Maybe a list
   with all GPL compatible licenses and some other licenses would be a
   better .. But this is a my 0.02.

What we consider reasonable for software we might install on our own
computers, vs software we provide hosting for, can certainly be two
different things.  And if we accept only GPL compatible licenses in
hosting projects on savannah, this will encourage people to choose GPL
compatible licenses.

I think it might actually be best to have a policy that we will only
accept non-GPL-compatible licenses for savannah hosting in special
circumstances.  If IBM happens to have written some very useful piece
of software that happens to be incompatible with the GPL that happens
to need a home, we might want to host it.  But if an individual comes
to us wanting to start a new project with a GPL-incompatible license,
I think we should do everything we can to encourage them to use a
GPL-compatible license.  (And they'll either care about GNU a lot and
use the GPL-compatible license to be able to be hosted here, or else
they would have been just as likely to want to use sourceforge in the
first place.)