Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Mike Nugent
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:56:55 -0800

I think we need something more catchy that doesn't sound like it's just a clone of sourceforge. Maybe we should avoid things with "forge", "foundry", "smith", etc in the names. Also, we should probably avoid "vault", "safe", because of M$'s "sourcesafe" product.

Some ideas:

softwarehaven.org (kinda sounds like it's protected here)
code-labs.net
softwarelabs.net (i like the 'labs' theme.  it says "we make software here")
codemuse.net (we don't just write code, we write code in haiku (i have to try this sometime now))
hack-masters.net (for all your KoDT fans)
code-R-us.net (ok, this one's just silly)
true-freedom.net (as opposed to some -other- movements...)

Obviously, I'm running out of ideas, but you get the picture.
All of these domains were available as of timestamp.

Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

I agree with Guilaume.

Guillaume Morin <address@hidden> wrote:

  freefoundry.org

I think it is a good idea

  gplforge.org
  gplsource.org

I don't like that ones since GPL is not the only free license.

And, more to the point, not the only *GPL-compatible* free software
license.

--
Mike Nugent
Programmer/Author