ruby-tut-developer

Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft

From: Laurent Sansonetti
Subject: Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:42:28 +0200

gabriele renzi wrote:
Here is a temporary draft of the GNOME tutorial.
Please do not hesitate
to post any comment, remark, suggestion...

here I am!

Thank you!

Prerequesite

s/Prerequesite/Prerequisite

I wish I had taken an English course more recently than 5 years!

 The stuff needed for the tutorial: a complete
GNOME environment + the
 ruby-gnome2 binding.

what do you mean by "prerequiring" ruby-gnome2
bindings? won't you put some lines in how to
get/install them?

Yes, installing GNOME and ruby-gnome is a prerequisite for this tutorial.

In French, prerequisite is translated by 'chose nécessaire' (a thing which is necessary).

Which title should I take for this chapter? (something like "Getting started" ?)

Addresses should be saved

somewhere (marshalling? XML
file?).

I think this is the tipical place where modularity
appears :) bring up a Config class/obj and show the
readers how easy they can go from Marshal to plaintext
a-la unix to xml to dbms to...

It should not be hard, but possibly we could go out of
the scope of the thing..

This is a very nice idea, but I don't think this tutorial will be the ideal place to speak about that. I think we should stick to GNOME related stuff. The reader may be lost.

We should choose one of the proposed solutions (marshal, plaintext, xml, dbms, ...?). I personally like marshal, since it is included by default in Ruby , and this is very easy to implement (the reader won't be supposed to have specific knowledge about non-Ruby stuff).

Obviously, we can propose these other solutions as an exercise for the reader, like Daniel's beginner tutorial.

I'll agree after I read the chapter, i'm a kde guy ^_^

Maybe the tutorial could be used as an advocacy way to convert some KDE guys to GNOME ? ;-)

Anyway the whole thing sounds wonderful, it's a damn
bad thing we can't get these goodies for windows users
too..

As far as I know, ruby-gnome2 is supported by Windows (cygwin). I will try to look after that if I have some time.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback!

--
Laurent