ruby-tut-developer

Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:49:05 -0400

> 1) The project: a GNOME address book
>
>    A description of the application we plan to program during the
>    tutorial.  I think an address book is a good idea, because we keep
>    the same example as the beginner tutorial.  It is also easier to
>    begin with this kind of program.
>
>    The program will be able to manage addresses (insertion, modification
>    and deletion).  Addresses should be saved somewhere (marshalling? XML
>    file?).  The program should also handle a small configuration, and be
>    able to save it on GConf.

Sounds great!
I'd love to learn all this myself.  I've always wanted to understand the
GNOME framework better.

> 2) Designing the graphical user interface (GUI)
>
>    In this section, we will design the GUI using Glade.
>    There won't be any ruby-related stuff here.

You can use Glade for Ruby code?
I didn't know that.

Your tutorial sounds very interesting and I am really looking forward to
it.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant.  Math Dept.