ruby-tut-developer

[ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft

From: Laurent Sansonetti
Subject: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:51:08 +0200

Hello everyone,

Here is a temporary draft of the GNOME tutorial.  Please do not hesitate
to post any comment, remark, suggestion...

Introduction
  A short introduction to the tutorial and the GNOME framework.

Prerequesite
  The stuff needed for the tutorial: a complete GNOME environment + the
  ruby-gnome2 binding.

1) The project: a GNOME address book

   A description of the application we plan to program during the
   tutorial.  I think an address book is a good idea, because we keep
   the same example as the beginner tutorial.  It is also easier to
   begin with this kind of program.

   The program will be able to manage addresses (insertion, modification
   and deletion).  Addresses should be saved somewhere (marshalling? XML
   file?).  The program should also handle a small configuration, and be
   able to save it on GConf.

2) Designing the graphical user interface (GUI)

   In this section, we will design the GUI using Glade.
   There won't be any ruby-related stuff here.

3) Ruby implementation

   Probably the most interesting chapter ;-)

3a) Loading the GUI with libglade

    Will cover the libglade2 binding.

3b) Writing callbacks

    Will cover the gtk2 binding.

3c) Saving addresses

    Will cover either objects marshalling or XML.

3d) Handling the configuration

    Will cover the gconf2 binding.

4) Conclusion

   Blah blah... GNOME and Ruby is a terrible combo!

--
Laurent