ruby-tut-developer

Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft

From: Laurent Sansonetti
Subject: Re: [ruby-tut] GNOME tutorial draft
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:00:14 +0200

Daniel Carrera wrote:
I'd love to learn all this myself. I've always wanted to understand the GNOME framework better.

I think http://developer.gnome.org/ is a good place to start. You will find here a big part of the information needed to understand GNOME internals.

You can use Glade for Ruby code?
I didn't know that.

In fact, Glade is usually used to generate code. This is (as far as I know) incompatible with Ruby (Glade supports C/C++).

Hopefully, Libglade exists! This is a C library which can dynamically load a Glade GUI using its .glade file (this is a XML file, which contains all information about the GUI). And ruby-gnome2 comes with a ruby-libglade2 binding.

I prefer the 'Libglade' way, because it separates GUI from implementation.

Your tutorial sounds very interesting and I am really looking forward to it.

Thank you! I will certainly need some help. I don't have much experience in writing tutorials ;-)

--
Laurent