Re: [Monotone-devel] propose to land .stripped on Tuesday

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] propose to land .stripped on Tuesday
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:07:51 -0500

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> building on my MinGW box is failing because make wants
>> package_revision.c to build mtn-package_revision.o.
>
> Immediate suspicion is stale .deps files.  Does this problem go away
> if you reconfigure and build from scratch in a new empty build
> directory / 'make distclean' and rebuild in the source directory?

tried that; no help

> Failing that, what version of Automake is in use here?

1.9.5

Debian is 1.10.1

> There might be a bug. What does
>
>  egrep '\.c\>' Makefile.in
>
> print?

just '-rm -f *.tab.c'

>> Later, I have a problem with xgettext; we are using 0.16 on Mingw (I'm
>> not clear why), 0.17 on Debian. 0.17 supports the --package-name and
>> --package-version options, which are now used by the makefile. 0.17 is
>> available on MinGW.
>
> Is it a problem to upgrade?  I don't remember any conditional logic in
> there, but I could very easily be wrong (the point of that exercise
> was, after all, that the old gettext logic was incomprehensible).
>
>> Upgrading to 0.17 fixes the immediate problem. There are no tests in
>> the mtn testsuite that require a functioning gettext, so I can't tell
>> if it works (my MinGW box is US English locale).
>
> Yeah, we don't test it precisely because we can't know what locales
> are available.

I think we should upgrade it, and then set up at least one build bot
with known locales so it can be tested.

>> There's a bug in EXTERNAL_LIBS; it has "LIBINTL" instead of
>> "intl_LIBS", needed to link tester.exe. Fixed in Makefile.am
>
> I'm an idiot.

I wouldn't go that far; I make plenty of similar mistakes.

In general, this branch has a much cleaner build struture; you've done
a lot of good work.

> You can take the $(LIBICONV) out, too.

I wondered about that, but left it in.

still can't sync.