Re: [Monotone-devel] propose to land .stripped on Tuesday

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] propose to land .stripped on Tuesday
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:23:12 -0800

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> wrote:

> building on my MinGW box is failing because make wants
> package_revision.c to build mtn-package_revision.o.

Immediate suspicion is stale .deps files.  Does this problem go away
if you reconfigure and build from scratch in a new empty build
directory / 'make distclean' and rebuild in the source directory?

Failing that, what version of Automake is in use here?  There might be
a bug.  What does

 egrep '\.c\>' Makefile.in

print?

> This problem doesn't occur on Debian.

I develop on Debian, so I would hope not :-)

I see a related problem which is that package_full_revision.txt winds
up containing just "unknown" no matter what the state of the source
directory is, but that has to be a bug in the wacky shell script used
to generate it, so I figure that can be fixed independently.

> Later, I have a problem with xgettext; we are using 0.16 on Mingw (I'm
> not clear why), 0.17 on Debian. 0.17 supports the --package-name and
> --package-version options, which are now used by the makefile. 0.17 is
> available on MinGW.

Is it a problem to upgrade?  I don't remember any conditional logic in
there, but I could very easily be wrong (the point of that exercise
was, after all, that the old gettext logic was incomprehensible).

> Upgrading to 0.17 fixes the immediate problem. There are no tests in
> the mtn testsuite that require a functioning gettext, so I can't tell
> if it works (my MinGW box is US English locale).

Yeah, we don't test it precisely because we can't know what locales
are available.

> There's a bug in EXTERNAL_LIBS; it has "LIBINTL" instead of
> "intl_LIBS", needed to link tester.exe. Fixed in Makefile.am

I'm an idiot.  You can take the $(LIBICONV) out, too.

zw