lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor? (was: textarea n

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor? (was: textarea no wrap ...)
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:26:13 +0300 (MSK)

10-Nov-99 19:12 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> IMHO textarea editing key should be assigned by default, otherwise a
>> majority of users will lost the feature.

> You have a good point.

>> Why so much pluralism here? (^Ve, ^Xe, ^E^E, etc., but no default value)

> It's not that it has to stay the way it is.

> I started implementing the various ways, rather than having endless
Indeed, that was a beter way:) thanks.

> discussions about the "best" way beforehand.  So the discussion about
> what should be the default can take place now - the mechanisms are
> implemented to pick from (and test).  It's now just a matter of changing
> the value in one of the internal tables.

Reading feedback, seems the consensus reached:
^E^E as default mapping for any key binding table,
also ^Xe for those who use bash-like binding (at least).

The latter fall down to the old problem: meaning of "e" is not the same
as "e" outside of input field. That is overloaded (EDIT/DWIMEDIT) which
may lead to confusion (or not).

As of escape character (you call it PASS), the documentation
should be corrected in several plases (now we have several paragraphes
in User Guide about ^V, and possible workarounds for ^V^V, a notes in
keystrokes/edit_help.html, alt_edit.html, lynx.cfg, else?)
I have not yet looked into keybinding patch not integrated into dev14.