lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor?

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:29:12 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> Reading feedback, seems the consensus reached:
> ^E^E as default mapping for any key binding table,
> also ^Xe for those who use bash-like binding (at least).

Well, it seems to be either ^E^E in all bindings, or ^Xe in all bindings.
With ^Xe, something like ^E^E wouldn't really be necessary.

So is it acceptable to change ^X for all bindings?  Is nobody speaking up
in favor of keeping ^X==ERASE?

Note that ^X would be a prefix key.  (Well, already is, in Bash-like;
so everyone can try it now.)  Only works in line editing mode. And
(repeating myself) "prefix key" is different from "command escape
key".  Also, typing ^X in the line editor doesn't give an immediate
indication that Lynx is waiting for another key.

> As of escape character (you call it PASS),

What I call "PASS" are keys that escape AND automatically do something.
The "command escape character" (escape and prompt for something to do)
is different ("LKCMD").

> the documentation
> should be corrected in several plases (now we have several paragraphes
> in User Guide about ^V, and possible workarounds for ^V^V, a notes in
> keystrokes/edit_help.html, alt_edit.html, lynx.cfg, else?)

Yes...

   Klaus