lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor?

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Which key for textarea external editor?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:35:19 -0700

On Sat, Nov 13, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:

| (In fact, if all lineedit bindings have these, there is no need for
| having INSERTFILE/GROWTEXTAREA/EDITTEXTAREA as main (non-lineedit)
| actions at all - they never make sense if not in a textarea.  The fact
| that INSERTFILE/GROWTEXTAREA/EDITTEXTAREA *are* KEYMAP-bindable main
| actions today is nothing but a kludge, necessitated by the way the lynx
| code worked - not by logical interface design. [Kim, do you disagree? :)]

Nope, not at all.  When I implemented those functions, I just didn't
see any way to (easily) restrict their "availability" to TEXTAREA's
alone.

| ^V==LKCMD is for "give me a way to make a key do what it would do if I
| were not in a form field".  It makes little sense to use this for actions
| that have only meaning in form fields.)

Are you suggesting having *both* ^V and ^X active as "meta-keys" when one
is in a TEXT/TEXTAREA field?

While I agree that one can interpret the meanings differently (ie, ^V to
mean "the next key is a normal/global lynx command", and ^X to mean "the
next key is a TEXTAREA-specific command"), that seems to be overkill, and
possibly confusing.

Rather, I'd suggest *replacing* ^V with ^X for the simple reason that some
shells eat a singlr ^V, which has resulted in the need for some users to
use ^V^V in order to obtain the desired "meta-action" intended by a ^V in
a TEXT/TEXTAREA.

Doing so would also unload the ^V overload, where it "normally" means
SWITCH_DTD, unless you are in a TEXT/TEXTAREA ...

| Btw. I am still thinking of giving EDIT a meaning for remote documents,
| along the lines of the LYK_SCRIPT idea/patch of a while ago.  That
| would mean that "e" does have a useful function in remote documents
| (other than producing a "Lynx cannot currently (e)dit remote WWW files"
| message).  That function should of course be accessible in a form text
| field with ^Ve.

That sounds interesting, and for consistency would argue *for* seperate
meta-keys (^X and ^V).

Unfortunately, ^V will still be a problem for some folks, requiring the
dreded double-^V.  So perhaps if two meta-keys are indeed worthwhile, we
can still find something other thab ^V for one of them ...?

/kim