lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Very confused!!

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Very confused!!
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:38:13 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, jenns wrote:

> Hello, I have downloaded the win32 port of Lynx and i must say i
> was excited..untill i opened the read-me.Man!..there is not one
> thing in it to say how to install or get it running and another
> thing that blew the excitement out of me was the read-me for a win32
> port explaining how people running unix should install this??? All
> the read-me has done is confused me to hell and now i'm not sure
> i want to run it? What do i have to do to get it running?.Do you
> have to know how to code etc? I'm completly lost?.Would i be able
> to get some help?.I have been to all the Lynx sites but there's
> nothing there to say what to do and it's all mixed in together
> ie,unix,Linux,.

If you had a file called "INSTALLATION" that explained how
to install for unix, you almost certainly downloaded the
wrong archive. You got the source code rather than the binary
distribution. There are several binaries for Win32 available.
Where did you get this one? You might start by reading:
"http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm";. You can get a binary
from there. Also see: "http://www.jim.spath.com/lynx_win32/";. There
is also a version compiled in Japan by Hiroyuki Senshu, but it is
easier to set up once you have another copy of lynx working, since it
defaults to a Japanese installation. Jim Spath's compilation has an
easy-to-follow set of instructions for installing on Win32.
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden