lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Very confused!!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Very confused!!
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 14:53:28 -0500 (EST)

991106 jenns wrote -- exuberance snipped --:
> I have downloaded the win32 port of Lynx and i was excited
> until i opened the read-me.  there is not one thing in it
> to say how to install or get it running and the read-me for a win32 port
> explained how people running unix should install this.
> All the read-me has done is confused me and now i'm not sure
> i want to run it.  What do i have to do to get it running?

DK has already told you how to get a pre-compiled version,
but your references to `the read-me' are not correct,
if you obtained the latest release package for 2-8-2.
the file README there says quite clearly right at the top:

"FOR REAL NOVICES

To use this package, you need a compiler & a bit of experience
at very simple programming.  If you just want something which will work
`out-of-the-box', you can get pre-compiled versions of Lynx
by following the links from  <URL: http://lynx.browser.org/> ;
for DOS or Windows, goto <URL: http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm>."

if you are getting new software,
you should always ensure you are getting an upto-date release;
the Lynx volunteer team doesn't have time to support older versions.

anyway, the short answer is to start at  www.fdisk.com/  as above.