Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 address@hidden)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 17:01:37 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benkő Pál" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>; "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:30 PM

> Documentation/notation/ancient.itely:2651: an indication of how the
> initial rests and note of the original version
> notes
>
> https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/

No - it should be "note".  A standard incipit has all the rests
leading to the first note, but just the first note alone.

Beg to differ.  See for example

<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensural_notation#mediaviewer/File:Josquin_Domine_ne_in_furore.svg>.
 It's usually the first bar or half bar, but enough that every voice has
at least one actual note.

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/

TBH I've sung from a lot of music with incipits and have never seen more
than one note: finding a sole example on Wikipedia from an author who does
not appear to have a username isn't categorical!

FWIW I've also sung a lot of music with incipits and I didn't gather that
one single note would be standard; I've even seen full movements as incipit.
if the sung music starts with a ligature, it's even impossible to have
just one note as incipit. to me "note or notes" is just pleonasm for "notes".

Well, blame the Oxford Music dictionary.

--
Phil Holmes