Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)

From: tdanielsmusic
Subject: Re: Adds incipit section to NR (issue 108270043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 18:16:22 +0000

TBH I've sung from a lot of music with incipits and have never seen
more
than one note: finding a sole example on Wikipedia from an author who
does
not appear to have a username isn't categorical!

However, Grove says "A 'melodic incipit' or 'musical incipit' is the
opening
fragment of music" and Oxford Music Online has "The preliminary staff
in
modern editions of early music, giving the original clefs and time and
key
signatures, the opening note or notes in their original notation, and
occasionally the range of the part", so probably a sound update would
be to
replace "note" with "note or notes".  I'll do this before pushing:
it's not
worth an updated patch.

It depends on the publisher, or maybe the editor.  For example,
"European Sacred Music" edited by Rutter and published by Oxford
seems to consistently show just the first note of each part, omitting
all prior rests, whereas the publisher Mapa Mundi always shows all
rests and several notes, usually corresponding to at least one full
bar, often more, of the following modern transcription.

Trevor

https://codereview.appspot.com/108270043/