Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:13:04 +0200 (CEST)

>> The round edges, which can be clearly seen, are not only affecting
>> the clef outline but *every intersection* of lines, including bar
>> lines!
>
> I agree when I look at the picture, but I wonder what's the cause -
> can you enlighten me?  IIUC you argue that the reason for the rounds
> is that the metal punches for noteheads etc cannot be cut out with
> 100% sharp inner corners.  Makes sense.

While it makes sense, this is not intended by the punchcutters, I
reckon.  We are going to imitate an unwanted effect...

> [...]  So, all I can think of as causes for the general rounding are
> dust on the engraving plate, artifacts from polishing the plate
> before printing, or random feathering of ink.  But all those must
> affect both inner and outer angles?

The round outer edges is something that pleases my eye, while I don't
see this for the inner edges.  Otherwise people would have pointed to
this problem earlier, and maybe other music fonts would have
implemented this – which isn't the case, as far as I know.

I guess that interaction between ink and paper is causing the smooth
roundings.  With today's laser printers, there is no ink anymore.

    Werner