Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 21:18:48 +0200

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM, tisimst <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote
>> ... It seems that you're spot-on with respect to the eight rest
>> inner corner!  However, it seems to me that the added roundings in the
>> G-clef are overdone?
>
> Indeed, the amount of roundness is debatable. What's funny about this is
> that I didn't actually create the rounds based on what I saw in any scan. I
> simply thought about what's logically possible when metalworking by hand,
> and, in the FontForge examples above (of the treble clef and the eighth
> rest), I designed it to have an real (printed) radius of approximately 0.005
> inches at 20pt size. This is pretty small in real life, especially if you
> are doing things by hand, but possible for a skilled craftsman and engraver.

Thanks for bringing this up! You are completely right; we never
considered the inside corners, and did the outside corners on the
assumption that they are fragile and would become rounded through the
violence of punching. Werner is right that you'd have to do a global
postprocessing pass to really do all all the line intersections, but
rounding inside corners in the font is a reasonable first
approximation.

As for the missing characters: my recollection is faded, but I think
we do some special fiddling to select emmentaler for the alphabetic
chars. Is your tweaked font also called emmentaler?