Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 20:22:07 +0200 (CEST)

> [1] [...] for some reason default to some other font for the numbers
> and letters and don't use those in my font at all: [...]
>
> [2] [...] the [trill] glyph doesn't connect for a continuous look:
> [...]

My guess for both problems is that due to your font modifications the
`LILY', `LILC', and `LILF' OpenType tables are screwed up, no longer
in sync with the actual data.  However, this is just a guess.

I fully agree with Urs that you should really work on the Metafont
level.  It's not rocket science!  Following the mf/README file in
calling mf2pt1 should give you some ideas how the font looks like
before it gets processed with FontForge.  Additionally, you can always
be sure that the three additional OpenType tables are OK.

> [...]. Exterior corners can be made sharp--/no problem!/--because I
> am not limited in size by the tool I'm using to create it. On the
> other hand, the interior corners are /*NEVER EVER EVER* going to be
> sharp/ because I simply do not have a strong enough tool with a
> sharp enough edge to cut a perfectly sharp interior corner. Even
> nowadays with our advanced manufacturing processes, this is a
> difficult and very expensive challenge.

Please provide (largely magnified) images that show exactly what you
mean.

> What this means: in order to have a truly authentic, classically
> engraved look, ALL interior corners should be rounded-ish, and the
> rounded-ness should remain optically constant (i.e., for
> emmentaler-26, the internal rounds would be optically the same size
> as those for emmentaler-11, but in the font itself, the rounds would
> be /MUCH LARGER/ for emmentaler-11 than emmentaler-26 because the
> intended print size is /MUCH SMALLER/).

This is not difficult to achieve.  If you are going to modify one
glyph at one size (ignoring the size issues for the beginning), thus
providing a template to work with, we will be certainly able to help
you with the missing details.

    Werner