Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Question about customizing emmentaler font
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 20:47:43 -0700 (PDT)

Jan,

Your skepticism is not uncommon. See the collages I've attached that exemplify what I'm talking about. Some are from Barenreiter (even from the LilyPond essay), some from Breitkopf, some from Edition Peters. Sorry they all aren't the same resolution, but that's what I had to work with. They all show this artifact of rounded interior corners. I promise I'm not just making this up. They come from the punch manufacturing process AND the engraving process AND printing process. I think it would be quite nice to incorporate these somehow, but maybe that's just me, in which case I would do it for myself.

What I love about them is the eye doesn't really notice them when they are there, but I would argue that the eye DEFINITELY notices when they are NOT there, like with any of the major notation fonts today. If you need more examples, I'd be happy to supply them. Cheers!

-Abraham

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
tisimst writes:

> Here's a couple of screenshots of what I mean by the internal corners
> needing to be rounded. Thanks for your help! If you can help me know
> how to add these rounds programmatically with metafont, I'll be a VERY
> happy camper :)

I'm not sure why, I'd be quite, quite surpised if you could produce
high-resolution scans that show these corners rounded.

Although I appreciate your looking into this, I think this is a mistake
to round these...

Greetings, Jan

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <[hidden email]> | GNU LilyPond http://lilypond.org