Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:20:32 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote Saturday, March 16, 2013 8:36 AM
>

>> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Do you mean that we should recommend/give more attention in docs to
>>> entering lyrics with explicit durations?
>>
>> "more"?  I don't think we even mention that possibility at all.
>
> Wrong; see
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#entering-lyrics
> and
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-vocal-music#manual-syllable-durations

Ok, so I misremembered.  Behavior and its fine points are documented.  I
am just skeptical that the selection of fine points is fine.  Do we
really need a particular associated voice instead of being able to do
this with general music column alignment?

>> Anything else except changing the rhythm of the lyrics.  Aligning
>> lyrics at a point of time to notecolumns at the same point of time
>> should not require associating voices.
>
> Agreed.  Making the override work as might be expected in
> <<
>   { c'2 c' d' d' }
>   \new Lyrics {
>     \lyricmode  {
>       \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #CENTER
>       foo2 bar la mmm
>     }
>   }
>>>
> would be helpful, as Janek has suggested.

I am not sure I get the fine points of the design.