Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 02:51:36 +0100

2013/3/14 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi hackers,
>>
>> I need your opinion on this to proceed with generalizing alignment
>> stuff (https://codereview.appspot.com/7768043).
>>
>> What should be the the desired behaviour of "standalone" lyrics, i.e.
>> lyrics that don't have associatedVoice set?  If you look at this
>> snippet (output attached),
>>
>> { c'2 c' d' d' }
>> \addlyrics { foo bar la mmm }
>>
>> <<
>>   { c'2 c' d' d' }
>>   \new Lyrics { \lyricmode  { foo2 bar la mmm } }
>>>>

>> you'll see that lyrics attached to notes (\addlyrics sets
>> associatedVoice) are centered, while "independent" lyrics are
>> left-aligned.  I think that this behaviour is suboptimal - in my
>> opinion it would be better if lyrics were centered in both cases.
>> What are your opinions?

Hi Janek,

if neither \addlyrics nor \lyricsto or associatedVoice is used, why
align the lyrics?
This is a user-error or it is intended.
In the latter case I'm with David:

> at least it should be reason
> enough to make the alignment configurable in a very straightforward way.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Offtopic:
But there's another, ununderstandable issue:
In the Code below, why is the lyric-line in \firstScore not removed
but in \secondScore ?
I'd have expected it the other way around.

\version "2.17.15"

m = { \repeat unfold 12 { c'4 } \break \repeat unfold 16 { c'4 } }

lyrI = \lyricmode  { \repeat unfold 64 { bla } }

lyrII = \lyricmode  { \repeat unfold 12 { "" } \repeat unfold 16 { foo } }

lyrIII = \lyricmode  { \repeat unfold 12 { " " } \repeat unfold 16 { xy} }

firstScore =
<<
\new Voice = "m" \m
\new Lyrics \lyricsto "m" \lyrI