Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: alignment of unattached lyrics - opinions needed
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 14:57:58 +0100

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden wrote Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:32 AM
>

>>On 17 mars 2013, at 12:29, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> \lyrics { do re mi }
>>>
>>> If there's no associated voice the lyrics have no parent until the
>>> Paper_column_engraver steps in.
>
>> Cool cool - thanks!
>> Then, going back to Janek's question, Janek - what would an
>> appropriate note-column be?  If there are several, how do we know
>> from user > input which one the lyric should align to?
>
> The whole point of using explicit rhythms with lyrics is to position
> them when they should _not_ be aligned with the rhythm of notes.

It's not the "whole point".  Another point is to be able to
enter/manipulate correct lyrics independent from notes.

> The syllables should be positioned according the the rhythm values
> attached to them.  This may or may not coincide with a note at that
> point.

Quite so.  All points of time that can be found in the lyrics should be
aligned to the respective note columns.  All points of time not found in
the lyrics are not relevant (meaning that notes should not get pushed to
the right to accommodate lyrics anchored to an earlier point of time
and/or notecolumn).

> The thing we are lacking is the ability to self-align them on that
> point with either center or left alignment, or better, any real
> alignment.

Yes, that's one thing.  Another is that the concept of an associated
voice does not make all that much sense to me.  The important relation
for \addlyrics between voice and lyrics is to reestablish the timing of
the lyrics.  The things that happen beyond that are hard to fathom.